South Sudan Rebel Leader Says Peace Talks Failed, Violence Likely
VOA NEWS--- Sunday, November 20th, 2011---South Sudanese rebel leader George Athor Deng says peace talks with the country's ruling party have broken down, and that his forces are prepared to continue fighting against the government. Speaking in Nairobi Sunday, Athor said key demands of his South Sudanese Democratic Movement were not met during talks last week with South Sudanese President Salva Kiir's party, the Suden People's Liberation Movement. The demands include new elections, the release of political prisoners, and the selection of a third party to help enforce any future peace agreement with the government. He said his forces will continue fighting if the government does not agree to their demands. Athor, a former general in what is now South Sudan's army, rebelled against the government last year after losing a governor's race in Jonglei state, an election he claims was rigged. In the past year, his forces have carried out deadly attacks in Jonglei state and Upper Nile states.