8/15/2013

Cairo official death toll passes 500

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23711534

BBCNEWS

Hundreds of Muslim Brotherhood supporters have stormed a government building in Cairo and set it on fire, according to Egyptian state media.
The move comes a day after security forces broke up Brotherhood protest camps, leaving hundreds dead.
Brotherhood members had been protesting for weeks about the army's overthrow of President Mohammed Morsi in July.
The Egyptian government says 525 people were killed on Wednesday, but scores of bodies have not been registered.
Supporters of President Morsi say more than 2,000 died.
The BBC's Khaled Ezzelarab has reported seeing at least 140 bodies wrapped in shrouds at the Eman mosque, close to the main protest camp at Rabaa al-Adawiya Square.
The Muslim Brotherhood, the main source of Mr Morsi's support, is planning marches on Thursday in Cairo and the second city, Alexandria, to protest at the deaths.
A state of emergency has been imposed by the interim government, which took power after the army removed Mr Morsi on 3 July.
The US and several other countries have condemned the Egyptian security forces' actions, which Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan described as a "very serious massacre".
'Sports halls'
A spokesman for the health ministry said in addition to the 525 people killed, 3,717 had been injured.

Wednesday's casualties

Demonstrators in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, hold posters of ousted President Mohammed Morsi and dead protester Asmaa El-Beltagi outside the Egyptian embassy, 15 August
  • Official death toll: 525, with at least 137 killed near Cairo's Rabaa al-Adawiya mosque; 57 at Cairo's Nahda Square; 29 in Cairo suburb of Helwan; 198 in other provinces; 43 security personnel
  • BBC correspondent saw more than 140 bodies from the clashes at Rabaa al-Adawiya
  • Muslim Brotherhood says more than 2,000 people were killed
  • The dead include three journalists and a daughter of a Muslim Brotherhood leader, Asmaa El-Beltagi
  • Official figures speak of 3,717 injured across Egypt
However, the official toll only includes bodies which have passed through hospitals.
The Muslim Brotherhood said 300 bodies had been taken to the Eman mosque, in Cairo's Nasr City district.
Other bodies were taken to sports halls, sources in the organisation said.
Reports speak of disputes between bereaved relatives and officials entrusted with documenting the causes of death.
The smaller of the two protest camps, at Nahda Square, was cleared quickly on Wednesday but clashes raged for several hours in and around the main encampment at Rabaa al-Adawiya Square.
The mosque of the same name was damaged by fire.
Mobs later carried out reprisal attacks on government buildings and police stations as well as churches belonging to the country's Coptic Christian minority.
In a televised address, Egyptian interim Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi defended the operation, saying the authorities had to restore security.
Expressing regret for the loss of life, he said the state of national emergency would be lifted as soon as possible.
Mr Morsi, Egypt's first democratically elected president, is now in custody, charged with murder over a 2011 jailbreak. His period of detention was extended by 30 days on Thursday, state media said.